The Wolf at the Door
Undue Influence and Elder Financial Abuse
Elder financial abuse is a crime that is severely underreported; according to a 2003 study from the National Institute of Health, only about 7 percent of all elder abuse cases ever come to the attention of authorities. The damage to our families, local communities, and economy is substantial. A MetLife study from 2011 cost at nearly $3 billion a year, while other researchers have set the figures several times higher. This book helps families, caregivers, and professionals who work with and around elders to understand what elder financial abuse is, how to identify it when it happens, and what to do about it.
Michael Hackard’s The Wolf at the Door: Undue Influence and Elder Financial Abuse presents both overview and in-depth analysis of the following topics:
- Methods and tactics of an elder financial abuser
- Tales from the elder financial abuser archives
- Alzheimer’s and dementia in financial elder abuse
- Working with an attorney when you suspect financial elder abuse
- Litigation strategy
- Trustees: the good, the bad, and the ugly
- The basics of proving undue influence
- Stepmothers and estate litigation
- Mediation as a path to resolution
- Financial institutions and their roles in fighting elder financial abuse
MICHAEL HACKARD is the founder of Hackard Law, a California law firm that focuses on estates and trusts litigation. Over the years he has helped many victims of elder financial abuse, including trust beneficiaries, disinherited heirs, and relatives of family members. He practiced law for more than forty years before writing The Wolf at the Door: Undue Influence and Elder Financial Abuse, and has an “AV Rating” from Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, signifying the highest level of professional excellence. He has been interviewed regularly by local and national media, including The Wall Street Journal, C-SPAN, and Fox News, and has testified before the US House of Representatives.
Michael received his JD from McGeorge School of Law and has been a member of the California Bar Association since 1976.