LA Trust Beneficiaries | Holding Bad Trustees Accountable
Under California law, Los Angeles beneficiaries have fundamental rights that are integral to a fair, timely and equitable distribution of trust assets. While the terms of a trust should be inviolable, there are still unfortunate cases when trustees abuse their authority and commit breach of fiduciary duty. This can result in serious damage to the trust and put a family’s economic future in jeopardy.
When a bad trustee is in charge, all bets are off – they could delay or withhold trust distributions to beneficiaries, conceal or lie about the true state of trust assets, and even drain the trust of all its funds. In instances like these, it’s important for beneficiaries to move quickly to prevent further harm and protect their inheritance. When the trust litigation team at Hackard Law responds to a case of trustee wrongdoing in Los Angeles, we take concrete actions to counter the threat and hold wrongdoers accountable.
- First, we analyze will and trust documents for a comprehensive review of beneficiary rights under a given trust.
- We will frequently undertake a trust accounting to legally compel a trustee to disclose the true state of the trust’s property, funds, and other assets.
- If the wrongdoer refuses an offer to mediate, we can also file an 850 Heggstad Petition in LA’s Stanley Mosk probate court for the recovery of wrongfully transferred trust assets. If the bad trustee contests the court order, then litigation will follow, along with discovery and deposition. In addition, we work to prevent the trustee from spending funds on litigation costs.
- Alternatively, we have the option of filing a petition for immediate trustee removal and the appointment of a temporary trustee.
Hackard Law is committed to protecting LA beneficiaries and their interests against trustee misconduct. Carelessness, negligence, and the wrongful taking of trust assets cannot go unanswered – it’s time for accountability. Call us at 213-357-5200. We represent clients throughout Los Angeles County in estate, trust, and elder financial abuse lawsuits, and we’ll be happy to see how we can best help you.
- Abused Beneficiaries
- Catastrophic Injury
- Celebrity Estate Battles
- Coronavirus Liability
- Dependent Adult Financial Abuse
- Elder Financial Abuse
- Estate Litigation
- Estate Planning
- Firm News
- Legal Advocacy
- Life Insurance Beneficiary Litigation
- Trust Litigation
- Trusts Accounting
- Will Contests
- Wrongful Death